In October we put on another Art and Science of LoveWeekend Workshop. It was our biggest workshop to date. As we reflected on the success of the workshop we realized there are many reasons we love this work.
1. We love seeing couples committed to working on their relationships. At this workshop we had couples travel far and wide to deep their connection, including Virginia, Illinois, Mexico and even South Africa. Good things happen when couples commit to building friendship and intimacy.
2. The fact that we had couples from such diverse locations speaks volumes to how Gottman Method Couples Counseling is spreading. Therapists trained in this method are now in Australia, Canada, Korea, Norway, Sweden and Turkey. A therapist from Mexico attended our workshop and she now is seeking Level 1 training. It is exhilarating to be involved in this global movement.
3. We love and appreciate the support of our partners in putting on our workshops. Both of our husbands help us role play techniques taught over the course of the weekend. We demonstrate how to deal with actual issues from our personal lives. Invariably evaluations show this to be a favorite part of our workshop. Seeing the vulnerability of our partners and learning that all couples have conflict make this approach very accessible to participants.
4. We love that this is a comfortable process for couples. Couples appreciate that we make the workshop fun and interactive, yet a private, intimate experience. It is not therapy yet yields the same results as 6 month of marital therapy.
5. This material works! Time and again we have seen couples re-ignite the flames of passion, smooth out rough spots or make a complete transformation in their relationship over the course of the weekend. Gottman Method Couples Therapy is based on 40+ years of research and the techniques used are powerful.