All Relationships Take Work.
Learn How to Make Love Last a Lifetime.
Couples seek counseling for a myriad of reasons, ranging from setting a good foundation with premarital counseling to repairing a relationship in crisis. Couples Counseling and Professional Training Associates covers all bases.
We Specialize in Gottman Couples CounselingAlysha Roll, LCSW and Mary Beth George, LPC, founders of Couples Counseling and Professional Training Associates, both are certified in Gottman Method™ couples therapy and are Master Trainers and Consultants for The Gottman Institute. Developed by Drs. John and Julie Gottman, this method of intervention is based on four decades of research. John Gottman is bestselling author of numerous books, including The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work. Travelling to Seattle, home of the Gottman Institute, Alysha and Mary Beth have had multiple opportunities to train with the Gottmans as well as other Certified Gottman Therapists.
A Research-Based Type of Therapy
Gottman Method™ Couples Therapy guides the practitioner in assessing the unique strengths and stressors that impact the bond between two people. By extensively studying the interactions between couples, John Gottman has been able to determine what behaviors are associated with relationships that last and those that end in divorce. From this research the Gottmans have developed a wide range of effective interventions, including:
- Re-igniting the flames of fading intimacy and friendship
- Bridging the chasm of emotional distance and building a culture of appreciation
- De-escalating volatile arguments and gridlocked fights
- Eradicating criticism, defensiveness, contempt and stonewalling
- Healing from affairs and other breaches of trust
- Building shared meaning for long term connection
By utilizing this powerful, scientifically backed approach, Alysha and Mary Beth offer hope and healing to couples. They offer several modalities of Gottman Method™ Couples Therapy:
How It Works
The Assessment Process
One of the things that sets us apart from other types of couples counseling is our in-depth assessment process. We take time at the outset of therapy to fully understand the issues each couple is facing. Rather than limping along in weekly therapy with no aim or direction, our assessment can more precisely target treatment interventions for each couple’s unique needs. We offer the following options for assessment:The “MRI” Assessment
Just as an MRI gives more information than an X-ray when we are physically injured, the MRI assessment option allows us to take a deeper dive into a couple’s functioning. State-of-the-art technology allows us to use the same process that Gottman did in his original research. This option includes the following:
- A 90-minute joint session where the couple has an opportunity to share with the therapist their current concerns and the history of their relationship, highlighting the seminal moments that led to the current state of distress. During the latter part of the session the couple will proceed with the Love Lab experience. The Love Lab process replicates Gottman’s original research methods and is the gold standard in couples therapy assessment. It allows us to take a deeper look at the strength of the couple’s bond, as well as the impact of positivity and negativity on conflict, friendship, intimacy and the stability of the relationship overall. The cost of the 90-minute session is $250*, plus an additional $150* for the Love Lab experience, which includes the cost of the initial and follow-up questionnaire outlined below.
- Confidential online questionnaires that were created by the Gottman Institute will be completed by each person separately. The questionnaires will identify the couple’s strengths and challenges and will be repeated after a few months to monitor progress towards goals. The cost of the questionnaires is bundled into the $150* Love Lab fee.
- One individual session with each partner, allowing them to share their personal histories and perspectives. Each session costs $150*.
- A 90-minute feedback session in which the therapist shares their observations of the relationship struggles, as well as the development of goals for couples counseling. The couple will receive a detailed report outlining assessment and Love Lab findings. The cost of the feedback session is $225*.
The Half-Day Assessment Package
This option is ideal for couples who want to accelerate the assessment process outlined above. For this option, the questionnaire is completed prior to session. The couple meets with the therapist to complete the initial session, Love Lab experience, individual sessions and feedback session. The cost of the half-day assessment package is $925
Once the assessment process has been completed, the couple can opt to proceed as follows:
- 50-minute sessions (cost is $150*)
- 90-minute sessions (cost is $225*). This option is recommended. It allows for couples to have time to explore issues in more depth. It is based on Gottman’s research where 90-minute sessions were utilized.
Extended or Marathon Sessions
- Couples interested in intensive therapy can read about our packages here.
*If you wish to submit claims to insurance, please contact one of our therapists to discuss what services may or may not be covered by your plan.
Right to a Good Faith Estimate
Make an Appointment
If your relationship is in distress, don’t wait to make an appointment. Research has shown that it usually takes six years from the first sign of trouble in a relationship to the commencement of couples therapy. While help is available at any stage of the relationship, it is wise to intervene early.